Saturday, December 18, 2010

Backyard Cardinal


Happy Saturday, blog friends! I learned at church last week that this coming Monday is the busiest day of the year at the post office, with 800 million pieces of mail expected to come through. Ha! Proof that I'm not the only procrastinator when it comes to mailing holiday cards! Actually, I mailed out my photo cards already, but all the handmade ones still need to go out. I dread taking them in to the post office and going through them one by one with a postal clerk, since I cannot for the life of me figure out their system accurately enough to determine postage myself! Now that I have a heads-up about Monday at the post office, you can be sure I'll be aiming for first in line (and drawing the ire of everyone behind me, no doubt)!

Today's card uses a beautiful cardinal image from JustRite's Backyard Birds set and a classic sentiment from JustRite's Christmas Nested Sentiments, along with more of that yummy Webster's Pages Waiting for Santa designer paper. The ornate embossed white/ivory shape to the left of the main image is one of Pink Paislee Ornament Artisan Elements. I've talked about these Artisan Elements before, but it's worth repeating for those who haven't seen them. They are so fun! They're made from a flexible resin-type material, and can be sponged, misted, painted, stamped on, colored on, etc. (or left plain, as I always seem to do). The Ornaments Artisan Elements are the perfect size for card-makers, too. Here's a closer look at one of the fourteen elements in the Ornaments collection:


Thanks so much for stopping by. If you're a regular, you know I don't normally post on Sundays, but do tune in tomorrow, as I have lots to share!!




Stamps: Backyard Birds, Christmas Nested Sentiments (JustRite)
Paper: Papertrey Rustic White, Webster's Pages Waiting for Santa, Neenah Classic Crest Natural White
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Versafine Onyx Black, Ranger Antique Linen and Brushed Corduroy Distress Inks
Accessories: Spellbinders Lacy Circles, Papertrey button, May Arts burlap string, Pink Paislee Ornament Artisan Elements, needle/thread/piercing tool, foam tape, rhinestone flourish (source unknown)

24 comments:

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Oh, Amy, this card literally made me gasp when it came across my screen! Absolutely breathtaking!

Oliwiaen said...

I just can't take my eyes off it - what an awesome card!!!

Linda L said...

Wow that is one totally gorgeous card Amy. Such gorgeous design and elements. Good luck at the Post Office. Here in Australia I just put a normal Xmas stamp on all my handmade cards and off they go...I've never had a problem...I think they're a little "nicer" at Christmas time so to speak....the spirit of Christmas maybe:-))

Tanya said...

This is just breath taking!

Linda Carson said...

Oh that's soooooooo beautiful! Wish I were on your Christmas card list!

Marisa said...

Stunning colouring on the image, Amy and I love the button with twine and your Artisan Element. Simply gorgeous. I have a little pressie for you re: your sketch for this week ;)

Shantaie said...

seriously gorgeous! my eyes popped out of my head gorgeous!!!

I too have a large number of cards to go out on Monday...so thanks for the warning, I will be waiting at the door to be first in line as well, good thing we dont live in the same town *giggle*

Michele Boyer said...

This is STUNNING, Amy! I love your stitching and the button/string! (Good luck at the PO!)

Kristi said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Cardinals are my favorite birds and this is one of my favorite cards.:)

Debi said...

Hey Amy: I used to work as a clerk at the post office. It's all weighed according to ounces. If you have a little scale at home, you can "guesstimate" what each letter would cost. Exactly one ounce and less would be $.44 one regular stamp). Each ounce above 1 oz is an additional $.17, so then it would be $.61 for 2 oz, $.78 for 3 oz, $.95 for 4 oz and so on for letters anywhere in the USA. It doesn't matter where you send it in the USA, it's all the same pricing scale. If the letters or cards are extra thick or odd shaped, then they like to tack on an additional "surcharge", but only if it is under 1 ounce, if it's over 1 ounce, the additional postage covers for that. So are you totally confused? Now, international shipping...that's a whole 'nother story. Just take them in and have them weigh it. I could go on and on, but I don't want to completely confuse you. Hope it helped. Debi

Renkata said...

wow Amy, so elegant and romantic card. Such a great details and layout.

Kelly said...

I love the layers on your card. You always have beautiful cards to get inspiration from. I will be at the post office too with my late packages. Oh well.

Kathy Martin said...

What a beautiful card!

I mail all my handmade cards in an 6x9 bubble envelope. Sometimes I'll include a letter. Unless you add something more than that, it weighs approximately 2 oz. That costs $1.07 each within the U.S. I add my own stamps, ordered on-line, and mail them from my mailbox. No post office! :)

Amy Johnson said...

Well, I have been taking my hand made cards to the post office little by little since Thanksgiving, but I still have about 20 I need to mail, and I will be doing that on Tuesday afternoon. So your not alone! I figure, it's perfectly acceptable to get Xmas cards after Xmas, as long as they are before the New Year!

Great card! I just love everything about it! Love the colors, the rhinestones, the button, the nesties....just all the fabulous detail!

Chriss Blagrave said...

Another totally gorgeous card Amy! Love your stitching on the circle (I will try this to see how crooked my stitches will be...yours are perfect!) Love the papers and placement of the crystal flourishes and that PP artisan element is so elegant. Have a great weekend!

Chriss Blagrave said...

Forgot to mention a postal tip that I learned. When I took mine in last week, I went thru them individually with the clerk and anything with a "bump" requires a twenty cent addition. I think it is like a hand canceling fee.

Linda E said...

Beautiful card today, Amy. I'll be right behind you at the post office tomorrow. I'm trying to finish my cards up tonight!

Elaine M said...

A note about the post office...they have this HEAVY rectangle that they lay the cards on to determine the size - it also has a slit cut out that they slide the card through to see if it's narrow enough. Anything over a certain thickness or size gets additional postage. I had cards going for the regular postage all the way up to $1.22.
The postoffice was kind enough to make me a copy of this measurer - I took it home and glued it to heavy cardboard - cut out the opening for thickness checks. Now I can be pretty darn close on my postage. I'll send you a copy of mine if you'd like - but you can probably just ask the post office after Christmas rush and they could make you a copy

Erin Smetak said...

Just absolutely GORGEOUS creation!!! LOVE the bird, and I don't like birds! And that ornament element?! LOVE IT!!! I want some of that stuff! FUN FUN FUN!

Beth Norman said...

Wow, what a beautiful card. All your elements are so well placed.

Peggy said...

Amy, this is absolutely gorgeous! You have a special talent when it comes to paper crafts which I believe comes from above.
God bless,
Peggy

scrappingnana said...

Your card is absolutely gorgeous. I love everything about it. TFS

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Wow that is a gorgeous stamp and your coloring is Terrific, so love the way you embellished the card too!

Teresa Kline said...

wow girl, this is stunning...I am amazed at your super talent..you are amazing...and to think little ole me is going to get to meet you.....happy sigh!

enjoy *~*